A Few Other Banjo-related Sites to Visit
The primary purpose of this page is to provide links to other banjo-related sites that are maintained by subscribers to BANJO-L. I am aware, of course, that there are many, many banjo sites; rather than my trying to reinvent the wheel, I have listed a few personal favorites and several sites that have links to these other excellent pages. Got one that needs to be here because it's not in one of the other compendia? Send email to Donald ZEPP.
[ General Banjo Stuff, Subscribers' Sites | Lists | Sales/Commercial | Jokes | Gigs | Music | Other, non-music-related.]
BANJO-L subscribers' and others' sites with General Banjo Information:
[ Top ]
- Jack Baker's page of banjo tab and midi files
- 5-String Banjo Sampler Page
- "banjer's" World Kenneth Rytjarn's Bluegrass and Oldtime Homepage
- Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
- That Banjo From Hell, Harry Bolick's site.
- BanjoHead.com, Kevin BanjoHead Gadde's tenor banjo site
- Jim Penson's Bluegrass Registry.
- Banjo Land, Pete "threefingers" Counter's bluegrass site.
- Banjo Patent Archive, William Craig's remarkably interesting site
- BanjoSoft five-string (Scruggs-style) beginner instruction program. Requires Windows 95, a sound card, and 2 megs of disk space.
- Gordon Bank's Dwight Diller page, with a link to Clawhammer Tabs, many complete with RealAudio. A good site to visit to hear Dwight's style.
- Howard Berlin's Bluegrass page. There's a link to some bluegrass & banjo-related ASCII art
- Banjo Pages by Tom Biggs
- Bluegrass in Australia What's on Guide for the Bluegrass and Traditional Country Music Society of Australia.
- Bluegrass Roots Music Web
- "The Calvins"Jim and Royann's homepage.
- British Bluegrass Music Association
- Capo Museum (OK, it's not just banjo, but it's neat!)
- Celtic Music, Chris Grotewohl has info on his music and playing here.
- Ray Alden's Chubby Dragon website. Vintage instruments & "must-see" Art in Musical Instruments.
- Classic Banjo Resource website. A site is devoted to the classic (or guitar) style of banjo playing that was popular at the turn of the century.
- Pat Cloud's site
- Jim Coston's Banjo page.
- David Crisler's Jazz 5-string banjo page. David says its "main attraction is Real Audio sound files," but there's a lot of other, interesting stuff there, too.
- Cybergrass - The Internet Bluegrass Music Magazine.
- Richie Dotson's Bluegrass page.
- FIDDLE-L Home Page. Not about banjos, but much of the music is related!
- iBluegrass Skip Ogden's Internet Bluegrass Magazine
- Ben Freed's New York-related Bluegrass Event Calendar
- Four String Banjo Links, Noel & Janet Induni's wonderful page for those more interested in 4-string styles.
- The late Paul Hawthorne's page, featuring the Banjo Conservatory
- Banjo Basics, Michael Hofer's page
- Mugwumps Online, Mike Holmes's fascinating pages of info, want ads, etc.
- FRETS.COM, luthier Frank Ford's fretted instrument maintenance & repair site.
- Ned Luberecki's Home Page
- Rob Malouf's Banjo page, with some of his clawhammer tablature.
- Phillip Mann's Banjo Tab Collection Neat links, banjo history, bibliography, & more.
Dave Marshall's Bluegrass MIDI files
- A Homemade 5th string capo by Marc Mauss.
- Glen Moorehead's "All things Banjo" page
- Tobe Nager's Tenor Banjo Page with cool links & other stuff.
- A Classical Banjo website by Kim Nakae
- The New Criterion Banjo Orchestra
- An Bainseo Gaelach Donnacha O Baoighill's site for Irish Traditional Banjo.
- North West Bluegrass News mag online
- Heikki Nylund's Lute and Guitar (including banjo and mandolin) music site
- Old Time Music Home Page, where you will find the Old-Time Musicians Directory.
- Irish Tenor Banjo Site by Proteus Duxbury
- Bill Palmer's banjo page.
- Pete Pardee's banjo pageTheBanjoMan.com .
- Mirek Patek presents frailing and fingerpicking on open-tuned tenor banjo.
- Ken Perlman's Homepage Mr. Melodic Clawhammer offers his recordings and publications here.
- Gary Price's page with much mandolin & bluegrass content
- Pete Roehling's page, with some neat "Bold-Timey" clawhammer sound clips.
- Hank Schwartz's Fairbanks page
- Tabs, both three finger and clawhammer style with matching midi files
- Pat Terry, tenor banjoist
- 5-String Banjo page Steve Trussel's site with a Banjo Tune Index of over 3500 tabs from 80 songbooks, and a Banjo Songbook List of nearly 250 banjo books.
- Reed Martin's site
- Don Wayne & Lori Reno's site A Don Reno tribute & discography, as well as the Reno Bros. Schedule
- Gary Shepherd's on-line Banjo Lessons
- Tim Smith's "Save the Banjos" Site
- Howard Spector's "Howie's Vintage Instruments" banjo page
- Dr. Ralph Stanley site
- Don Stevison's Pectrum Banjo Page
- "Lisa Strumelia" gives us this delightful page dedicated to the "Northeastern Hightone Headknockers" chapter of the International Merrywang Society
- David Teal's RB-250 Page
- Jean-Louis THIRY's site with melodic clawhammer tabs and links to other sites, including some en Français
- Tony Thomas's Yahoo! Discussion group of contemporary Black Banjo players
Discussion Lists List processors, Mailing Lists & the Like having to do with Banjo-related Music
Bluegrass Related lists (Fiddle, mandolin, etc.) that may be of interest to banjophiles.
Dixieland list information on Noel Induni's page
[ Top ]
Commercial Listings: New & Used Banjos, Parts, Accessories, Services, etc. (also things for other, far less important instruments):
The Acoustic Guitar - Your souce for quality banjos in Western Canada.
Acutab Home Page. Banjo links, information on tablatures, performers, etc. Also Video Banjo Lessons By Mail!
Eddie & Martha Adcock's page
andybanjo.com, Andy Perkins's U.K. Banjo shop
Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
Banjo Camp North
BanjoTeacher.com, Ross Nickerson's on-line teaching system
Banjos Unlimited Homepage, an association of banjo bands and individual banjo players dedicated to the preservation of the banjo and its music.
The Banjo Loft Wyatt Fawley's homepage, with information about his necks.
The Banjo Newletter. A vital source for 5-string tab, happenings, articles, etc.
Banjo Tablatures from David Cotton. David has ca. 700 tabs for sale on this page.
Blueridge Pickin' Parlor
Bernunzio Vintage Instruments A good source for those hard-to-find old banjos.
Buffalo Brothers Vintage Guitars
Chanterelle Workshop Mike Ramsey's custom built clawhammer banjos
ClimateCase, thermal/humidity protective case covers for banjos and other instruments.
Colorado Case Company soft cases and case covers for any musical instrument
Jim Curley's Mountain Music Shoppe
Janet Davis Music Company
Deering Banjo Co.
Dr. Horsehair Music Co.Bob Flesher's Music Site: Histories, stories, clawhammer and minstrel books, tapes & CDs
eBay Instrument Auction
Elderly Instruments Vintage and Used Instruments
Eucalypt Banjos, made "Down Under" by Roger Simpson
Folk of the Wood
Famous Old Time Music Company
Will Fielding, maker of exquisite banjos
FIGA, the Fretted Instrument Guild of America
First Quality Music
Geiger Acoustic Devices patented "Tone Control Amplifiers"
Gold Tone Banjos
Gryphon Stringed Instruments
Halshaw Music. Sully's Banjos and Sully Irish music books & banjo tutors.
Hatfield Music, Jack Hatfield's homepage and music business
House of Musical Traditions
Lark in the Morning
Mandolin Bros. Ltd.
McPeake's Unique Instruments Curtis McPeake's website
Mid-Continent Music Bill Hamilton's site of Bluegrass And Acoustic Music Recordings - CD's And Tapes
Murphy Henry Bluegrass banjo instructional materials
Merriweather Records Ltd., being the site of Arnie Naiman's and Chris Coole's most excellent banjo recordings.
Music Maker's Kits, Inc. banjo kits.
Nechville Musical Products
PensonStringWerks--All things bluegrass
Paul Odegaard's site, with some audio samplings from his 5-string banjo-disc, Banjo Suite
Roscoe's Music, "...a small one
man shop with mostly acoustic string instruments." Featuring Paul Richey Banjos.
Sierra View Acoustic Music, Bob Thornburg's gourd banjos
Slider Instrument Support Systems, Inc. Dual shoulder straps for musicians and more.
Tyger Brand Banjos. Minstrel banjos by Ty Supancic.
Turtle Hill Banjo Company. Dave Schenkman's site: Dave usually has huge selection of banjos in stock.
Stelling Banjo Works
Wunderlich Banjo Company Museum quality Minstrel banjos
Youngblood Music Workshop has many vintage instruments for sale.
ZEPP Country Music a full-featured bluegrass, old-time, gospel, country music store, owned and operated by the author of these pages.
[ Top ]
Canonical List of Banjo Jokes
[ Top ]
Gigs & Happenings:
These are links to other sites. Be sure to check the BANJO-L For Sale Page for our subscribers' instruction camps and other doings, too!
Visit Phil Mann's Banjo Camps and Workshop page or use this link to visit his homepage (and break out of my frames!).
Banjofests page of the Bayside Banjo Aggregation (BBA). Mostly 4-string events, but also included are events for Classic 5-string.
Dirty Linen Tour Schedules: Find when and where bands & folk are playing.
[ Top ]
Main Index - Folk Music on Recordings: Neat on-line discography that may interest at least some of us who play banjo.
Digital Traditions Folksong Database Find the words to those pesky traditional songs. (note that copyrighted material cannot be found here).
The Old-Time Herald -- A Quarterly Magazine Dedicated To Old-Time Music
Sing Out! Magazine You can subscribe, check out the contents or get a sample issue here.
[ Top ]
Other: (of potential interest, despite occasional, unforgivable lack of banjo content)
Banjo Books. Well, OK, you'll have to fill in the word "banjo" as "start of title word" search, but an impressive list of titles will be returned to reward your efforts. (Thanks to Sante Giuliani for doing the search and suggesting this.
Switchboard: a U.S. telephone directory & free "How-to-get-there" mapping service
[ Top ]